Thursday, February 23, 2017

Keep Living!

This week's entry comes from Bev Redmond, our Director of School and Community Relations.  As she prepares to move on to the next stage of her life, Bev takes time to reflect on her time here at HSE and to challenge us to continue the journey we are on.

From Bev: My Corner-Man

Keep Living! My dad, Willie A. Smith, Sr., taught me this powerful statement as a child. He has always been my corner-man in the ring of life, one of my chief strategists. Every once and a while, I would challenge his wisdom. Like a master teacher, he never chided me for asserting myself and interjecting my own voice. Instead, he would give me that “Smith” half smile, cock his head, and say, “Keep living.”

He let me find my way and come to my own conclusions. He was, and often still is, my guide on the side.
Bev  was walked through life and down the aisle by her dad,
Willie A. Smith, Sr.

This mantra not only gives me insurance against the things that I have yet to learn, but it also gives me reassurance that great experiences are ahead if I keep moving forward. I cannot tell you how many times his words have courageously supported me to maximize my moments and embrace with gusto the opportunities set before me.

In October 2014, I walked through the doors of Hamilton Southeastern Schools ready to serve as your Director of School and Community Relations. The largest school corporation of my career to date, HSE is 21 buildings and 21,000+ plus students strong and growing. The weight and responsibility of being part of the team that cares for the wonderful staff and families of the fourth largest school corporation in the state has been an incredible honor.

Collectively and individually, you have taught me, in your own way, to keep living. The joy and pleasure has been all mine. Through each phone call, project, plan, meeting, Tweet, post, and Skylert, I have had the fortune to work with incredible parents, dedicated leaders, and brilliant visionaries, who dare to dream big and challenge the status quo in order to create a boundless future for all students. You have reinforced my unwavering belief in the power of public education to transform and shape a community.

On March 31, 2017, I will walk through the doors of my office for the last time. I am moving to the Chicago area to pursue new opportunities, both professionally and as a new wife and stepmom. Know that I will miss you but have taken every experience to heart. Once again, my inner ear is open and listening for my dad’s familiar refrain as a fresh journey unfolds.


As I take my leave, allow me to encourage you to do the same.

Keep living HSE! Always keep living!




Respond to Bev at bevredmond@hse.k12.in.us









Thanks for all you've done for HSE Schools, Bev.  You will be missed, but we wish you all the best in the Windy City.

And thanks to you HSE, for all you have done and will continue to do make sure you continue to transform our community and world.

Your HSE Teaching and Learning Team
  • Jan Combs, Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning
  • Stephanie Loane, Director of Elementary Education
  • Tom Bell, Director of Special Education
  • Jeff Harrison, Director of Educational Technology
  • Phil Lederach, Director of Secondary Education


1 comment:

  1. We will miss you so much! You have been such a great support to many of us! Good luck on this new chapter in your life.

    ReplyDelete