Friday, June 2, 2017

It's All about Family

The last blog of this school year comes from a teacher—appropriately.  Kristen Carwile is more than a teacher, however.  She is also a parent of a graduating senior.  Her daughter walked across the stage and receive her diploma on June 3.

It is natural for a parent to look back on her child’s educational experiences at graduation.  By doing so, Kristen provides an important message by reminding us of an important truth.  Each of our students is someone’s child.
There is no better place to change the world
than in a classroom, one child at
a time.


From Kristen: It’s All about Family

In the summer of 2011, my family moved from the Atlanta, Georgia area to the city of Fishers.  We did our homework in finding schools as we had two “school-aged” daughters.  We explored other options, but decided our older daughter, a volleyball player, would be better served (no pun intended) in Hamilton Southeastern Schools, so I ended up living and working in district.

When your kids are students in a building where you teach, you might find that they avoid you like the plague, or, as was my situation, scream “Mom!” during passing periods.  They also come and ask you for money in the middle of Smart period.  And in the middle of “C” lunch.  And in the middle of the media center....

Their school experiences are different from other students because they can see their parents during the day.  Even so, they still need to have their school families: My daughter Kendall (HSE Class of 2015) found her school family as a volleyball player and playing cello in the orchestra.  Braelyn, my younger daughter (HSE Class of 2017), would have had a completely different high school experience if she did not have her marching band family.
Kristen is Mom and a Teacher.  For
her the lines are blurred.


Teacher and Parent

For those of us with children in our schools, it is hard to separate our parent-self from our teacher-self, but in many respects, being a mother helps me be a better teacher.  I enjoy meeting incoming students on August registration days, and I make my sophomores promise me that on the first day of school they will get up against a wall when the seniors do their “senior run” so that no one gets hurt. 

That’s the mom in me.  But the teacher comes out as well.  When that tradition happens, I am screaming to the seniors, “Get those knees up!” 


At the first Open House, I tell parents that I can post a resume if they would like, but what they really want to know is how I interact with their children. I model this on how I dealt with and deal with my own. I know what it is like to have a a child with a busy schedule of extracurriculars while taking rigorous courses.  So go ahead and turn in that assignment one day late because practice went until 10 p.m.  I also know what it is like to have a child who has attention issues and needs help with organization.  So let’s keep an assignment journal together. 


In reality, regardless of where you teach, you really are a part of this larger school family for our students.  I think that’s what we have enjoyed most about being here at Hamilton Southeastern High School.  Different things happen: babies are born, people pass on, and those affected say how nice it is to belong to the Southeastern family.  “Take pride in yourself, and in the Royals” is not just a cliche.  It brings to heart and mind the qualities and loyalties students have in themselves and their families.  I have no doubt, your schools also have similar sayings and similar feelings.


The End of the Year and Graduation

We are nearing the end of the school year, the graduation season, where the families that we serve will have had their child finish his or her kindergarten year, senior year, or any grade between.  Some will be contemplating moving school buildings in the fall.  And some, like the Carwiles, will lose their baby girl to higher learning, leaving the house to the parents alone. 

I have always felt that the staff and students here at HSE are my extended family.  I have had the true blessing of watching my children grow up in our school district, and I am proud of them and the foundation for a solid adulthood that all HSE Schools provide.   

Several years ago, I thought I would like to have a picture of the graduating seniors in the building who have family members who serve on staff. I think this ought to be a thing, so I made it a thing.  Below is our third iteration of our new tradition.  This is a picture of some of the students of the class of 2017 and their parents who work in our building.
Students are "family," sometimes literally
but always metaphorically
The end of the year is a time to look back and look forward.  It is time to remember that our students are also our own children, sometimes literally and always metaphorically.  The work we do is not always easy, but it does make a difference for our students and their families.  

When all is said and done, our work is about family.




Respond to Kristen at kcarwile@hse.k12.in.us




We hope you and your family have a great summer, HSE.  Rest and relax.  Take time to breathe and prepare to come back next fall to continue the good work, the vital work, of helping students learn and grow.

Your HSE Teaching and Learning Team
  • Jan Combs, Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning
  • Stephanie Loane, Director of Elementary Education
  • Tom Bell, Director of Special Education
  • Jeff Harrison, Director of Educational Technology
  • Phil Lederach, Director of Secondary Education


No comments:

Post a Comment